The photos below of the Joseph B Sappington home and family are form the Sappington-Concord Historical Society book, “Sappington-Concord: A History,” pp 250-251 The men in the photos are on the left, Theobold Stalz and on right, William D Stolz.
Joseph B Sappington home, summer 2019
The article below on Joseph B Sappington is from the Sappington-Concord Historical Society book, Sappington-Concord: A History,” page 250
Joseph B Sappington’s home, now on Clearwater Drive, was constructed about 1815 or possibly earlier. A two-room cabin was the original structure with an additional ground floor room and a second-story added. On May 9, 1821 a homestead Certificate of Entry number 259 of 312.75 acres was acquired by Sappington.
Joseph B Sappington was born November 29, 1786, at Madison County, Kentucky, the son of James and Sarah Durbin Sappington. On April 23, 1808, he married Elizabeth Wells. They became the parents of 13 children. Joseph Sappington and his brother, James, were nephews of John and Jemima Sappington.
After Joseph B Sappington‘s death on July 19, 1849, a son, Sebastian, administered the acreage on Gravois Road and constructed a two-story, stone federal structure on the property. Several members of the Sappington family had moved to Carthage, Missouri by the 1880s.
Theobald Stolz purchased the original Joseph B Sappington home and acreage in the 1860s. Theobald Stolz was born April 26, 1820, at Wallerstein ober Offenburg, Baden. After immigrating in 1852, Stolz on September 7, 1855 married Maria Ursula Kilius who was born September 19, 1830, at Altheim, Offenburg.
Stolz’s son-in-law, Henry Rott, acquired the Sebastian Sappington stone home and property. Another son-in-law, John Jay Rott, farmed the Stoltz property from 1887 until 1894. In 1894 a son, William D Stortz, purchased the house and farm and lived there until 1907 when the family moved to Affton. The Sappington Stoltz farm was rented by Franke Kleine and in 1915, by Henry Hertel. Hertel purchased the property from William D Stortz’s widow, Lena, in November 1922.
James and Charlotte Lubbock acquired the Joseph B Sappington house in 1953 and through the years did considerable restoration. A fire of electrical origin in 1988 caused much damage, but the Lubbock’s restored the home as much as possible to the original condition.
The real estate info form mid February, 2020
National Register of Historic Places Nomination form with good photos of the interior if you scroll all the way to the bottom:
South County Times article: