The Lindbergh Schools have built new administrative offices. They are at the intersection of Gravois Road and Sappington Road in south St. Louis County. There will be an open house at the offices on Saturday, February 10, 10:00 am to 12:00 noon. SCHS members and the public are invited to attend. Get a tour of the new building. Free.
The Sappington-Concord Historical Society gave a plaque to the Lindbergh Schools for the new offices. It is mounted in the lobby just inside the entrance. The plaque commemorates the area at the intersection of Gravois Road and Sappington Road as a crossroads of community and commerce. Johnny’s Market was the last business on the site before the new offices were built. The history of Johnny’s Market gets top billing on the plaque. The other businesses located on the site before Johnny’s are also portrayed in a time line.
A crossroads of community and commerce
Lindbergh Schools chose the site for their new offices at Gravois and Sappington Roads because of its key location in the area. It is just about as close as can be to the center of the school district. There are Lindbergh schools on the two axis of Gravois and Sappington to the north, east and south. The two roads are early roads in the area and so their intersection has long been an important center of business and social activity for the area. Sappington School and Concord School were two early schools in the area taking the names of their respective areas. They are at the core of the area served by the Lindbergh Schools and thus the name for this historical society, Sappington-Concord Historical Society.
The year 2017 was the 25th anniversary of the founding of the Sappington-Concord Historical Society. The society was founded in conjunction with the Lindbergh Schools to educate its students about their local history. The historic plaque is a gift marking the 25th anniversary of the historical society and recognizing the close relationship between the Lindbergh Schools and the historical society.
Sappington-Concord Memorial Park
The small park in front of the new Lindbergh Schools offices is Sappington-Concord Memorial Park. It is bounded by Gravois, Sappington and Denny Roads. In 1944 a monument to those serving in WW II was erected at the site. It fell into disrepair over the years and was replaced in 1992 by Sappington-Concord Historical Society. The park will get new landscaping sometime this spring or summer. The monument, the SCHS World War II Honor Roll will be removed during the work for its safety. After the work, it will be remounted in a new base, in a prominent new setting that will display the monument with respect and beauty, clearly visible to drivers and the whole community. Questions? Call SCHS President Stephen Hanpeter 314-918-1617
See South County Times article about the new Lindbergh administrative offices – Jan 19, 2018
See SunCrest Call article about the new Lindbergh administrative offices – February 1, 2018